United Way improves lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world to advance the common good.
The United Fund of Marion County was incorporated on August 26, 1957 with two main goals:
To raise funds and finance in part, or in the entirety, local, state, or national health, welfare, and character building organizations.
To unite, as far as possible, in one annual campaign the fundraising activities of such organizations in Marion County, and to develop uniform financing policies.
The first office was located at 202 Adams Street in the First National Bank building.
Allan W. Babcock served as the first President of the Board of Directors and C.R. Higinbotham served as the first campaign chairman. The first campaign raised just over $74,000.
The first agencies were the Red Cross, the Milk and Shoe Fund, Salvation Army, Boy Scouts, and the Girl Scouts.
In 1973, the United Fund became the United Way of Marion County.
The organization began aligning with United Way America and began providing membership and funding to agencies as "United Way agencies". The organization, which remains the same today, provides funding to non-profit organizations doing meaningful community work in the areas of health, education, and financial stability.
The offices moved to the Marion County Chamber of Commerce Building at 112 Adams Street in 2000.
In 2017, the United Way celebrated the 60th anniversary of the organization. Also in 2017, Brett White was named the 15th Executive Director of the organization, and the campaign raised over $447,539 for the community.